Motorcycles are popular modes of transportation in California. There are over 800,000 motorists registered in the state. Many more visit to enjoy Southern and Northern California roads or attend events like “Love Ride” and “Hollister Independence Rally.”
Unfortunately, thousands of motorcycle accidents occur each year. Motorcycle accident injuries are often severe and require expensive medical bills and time for rehabilitation. At Drake Law Firm we understand the costs and help accident victims recover the damages they need.
Motorcycle Accident Fast Facts
Data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about motorcycle accidents from 2013.
- 55% of accident victims were over the age of 40
- Speeding caused 34% of the accidents
- Riders with a Blood Alcohol Level over .08 made up 27% of accident victims
- Accidents are twice as likely to occur on a weekend
- 57% of accidents involved passenger cars
- Nearly 40% of deaths in motorcycle accidents occur in accidents with cars
Understanding Fault in Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycles can be dangerous when not used correctly. Nevertheless, drivers are responsible for 51% of accidents involving motorcycles. In California, if you or a loved one was injured in a motorcycle accident, you need an attorney with experience who is able to get your bike fixed, your medical bills paid and get you the compensation you deserve.
At Drake Law Firm we have been representing motorcycle accident victims from San Diego to Los Angles, San Fernando to San Francisco. Contact Benjamin Drake directly and have all of your injury questions answered.
How to Reduce Fault in Motorcycle Accidents
Motorists can take steps to keep their fault at a minimum when riding motorcycles. Important safety tips include:
- Understand the California laws of lane splitting and lane sharing
- Practice riding your bike in parking lots or quiet areas before taking it on the road
- Wear easy to see, bright colors
- Be extra careful at intersections and where cars are turning left in front of you
- Always leave distance between your motorcycle and the cars around you
Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Know What Damages You Should Receive
After a motorcycle accident, a settlement may be tempting. Insurance companies want to avoid lawsuits and save money.
Thus, the insurance company may only provide you with a small financial settlement. If you or a loved one was injured in an accident, you’re entitled to more than just the medical bills. Some compensation you can receive includes:
- Property Damage
- Punitive Damages if the other party drove recklessly or under the influence
- Lost earnings for the time you had to take off from work to recover
- Loss of spousal relations
- Mental suffering such as depression, anxiety or PTSD
- Loss of enjoyment of life for situations where serious injuries or paralysis occurred
Personal Injury Attorney
Think you may have a case involving your California motorcycle accident? Don’t second guess yourself. The legal team at the Drake Law Firm will listen to your situation and help you win the compensation you deserve. Schedule a free consultation with Benjamin Drake in Los Angeles or San Francisco office today.