A deadly wrong-way car collision in the pre-dawn hours of Feb. 9 left a total of six people dead near the Los Angeles area. The driver of the car responsible for the wrong-way crash was placed into police custody for driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI), causing great bodily injury and death, and for manslaughter. The accused driver is only 21-years-old.
No one anticipates the deliberately reckless behavior of an intoxicated driver reaching speeds of up to 100 mph on the wrong side of the freeway. But as the families of the injured and deceased people in this horrible accident can attest, these tragedies do happen. Even if no one perishes, the damage inflicted by an intoxicated driver can negatively affect your life in countless ways.
What are some of your legal remedies in a personal injury claim involving an intoxicated driver?
First, discussing your situation with a knowledgeable personal injury attorney in the Los Angeles area can make the difference between struggling through the legal system alone.
Here are some of the elements that your Los Angeles personal injury attorney will look to prove:
- Were your injuries—to your health, mobility, or normal course of activity affecting your body or injuring your nervous system—caused by the actions of the intoxicated driver? Remember, your injuries extend beyond physical harm, to mental and nervous pain and suffering. Suffering nightmares, sleeplessness, or depression within the definition of pain and suffering.
- Do you have ongoing medical and other types of expenses?
- Have you been prevented from going to work for any period, or have you sustained a loss of earnings?
- Did you sustain damages to your vehicle? Your vehicle is personal property that would not have been damaged if it were not for the actions of another person.
- And lastly, did the driver of the vehicle show a willful and blatant disregard for the interests of others by voluntarily consuming alcoholic beverages to the point of intoxication, knowing that at some point in the near future she would also consequently operate a motor vehicle?
While these are general considerations, these issues address the highlights of a claim. Again, speaking with a personal injury attorney is the most helpful action you can take to resolve your situation.