After an accident has taken place, the most important thing you must do is seek medical assistance. Even if there might be no immediate signs of an injury or pain. With car accidents in Los Angeles, injuries and the presence of pain might start manifesting itself days and even weeks after the date that the accident took place.
Your health is above and beyond anything else and immediately seeking medical attention will help will your future personal injury case. Seeking immediate medical attention is the best thing to do for your own health. An individual that does not seek immediate care will hinder their chances of having a credible and successful injury case. The insurance adjusters may think: “Well, he must not have been so injured or in pain if he did not seek medical help”.
The Process of How Medical Bills Are Paid For
Once a negotiated settlement has been reached or a lawsuit has been won, only then can you expect to receive a settlement from the at-fault driver’s insurance company. The at-fault driver does not have to pay for medical bills when there is a claim taking place even if the evidence clearly shows that they were at fault.
In short terms, you either have to use money out of your own pocket or send the medical bills to your own insurance company. Below will is the process for paying the medical bills:
- Call and retain a personal injury attorney
- Seek medical treatment as soon as possible after your accident
- Once you retain a lawyer the law firm will contact both insurance companies on your behalf (health, auto, etc.)
- All expenses related to the injury from the accident will be kept in a file including medical expenses, days of missed work, any and all car repair expenses
- Continue with medical treatment by visiting a physician
- If you have health insurance or any state-run health insurance program like Medicare, your insurance company may be billed for your medical bills. These bills will be reimbursed once the case settles. If you do not have health insurance, then the expenses from your settlement will be used to cover them.
- A negotiation will take place between our firm and the other driver’s insurance company adjuster. If both parties are not able to come to a reasonable settlement then our firm will take your case to trial
- Once a settlement has been reached, the medical bills are then paid.
Contact an Attorney
After having been in a car, motorcycle or truck accident the last thing you would want to do is deal with insurance company adjusters or having to negotiate payments with car repair shops or doctors. Call my office and we can talk about your recovery. I will make sure that the process is explained and that your car is repaired or replaced, your medical bills are taken care of and that you receive a settlement. Call my Los Angeles or San Franciso office (844) 51-DRAKE for a free consultation.